My name is Kristel Jacobs, along with my husband and 2 sons I live in the North of Antwerp (Kapellen).
Now about 14 years ago I started to make dreamy female figures from air drying clay, and soon I became fully addicted to creating these frail, elegant and authentic creatures in 3D. It was like the shaping of an elusive dream, always just out reach and therefore all the more desirable.
When it comes to sculpting, I am completely self-taught. Since I never actually followed courses, I managed to develop a unique style of my own.
Some years ago, however, I discovered a new passion to contribute my time to : Painting. I’ve been a student at the Academy of Arts of Kapellen for over 15 years, of which 6 years of Model drawing and painting and 6 years of Oil painting.
My paintings are figurative. I paint with Oil on canvas or linen. I like to work with a subtle and sensitive color palette. I strive for calm and peace in my work, yet there always seems to be a little touch of mysticism. My paintings are layered although they remain transparent, elusive and dramatic at the same time, realistic yet always a little alienating. It is a duality which can also be found in my dolls, I’d like to think of it as my personal trademark..
I love to combine different materials s.a. oil, acrylics, ink, pencil and like to experiment with (unusual) textures and mediums in my paintings. With these materials, I partly paint and try to suggest at the same time.
My creations need a lot of time to become what they will be, they seem to emerge layer by layer. When a creation is – finally – finished, I get the feeling that part of me, in a way, has blended into the piece.
If you have any questions about my artdolls or paintings, or just want to write something about my work, you are very welcome to contact me.
You can also contact me directly by phone +32 476 320404.
Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten (Sint-Lucas, 2950 Kapellen)
- 1995-1997 en 2003-2004 : Middelbare Graad Drawing and Painting
- 2004-2010 : Hogere Graad Drawing, Modeldrawing and -painting
- 2010-2016 : Hogere Graad Painting, Oilpainting
- Exhibition ‘Proverbs and Sayings’ built around the painting of the famous Flemish Master Pieter Brueghel, organised by Fedos, Zaterdagplein 6, 1000 Brussel, from December 6th 2019 til February 21st, 2020.
- Finalist of the contest ‘Artist in the Spotlight’ organised by the city of Kapellen and as a result of that an exhibition in the Town Hall Administratief Centrum, Antwerpsesteenweg 130 te 2950 Kapellen from August 1 til September 28, 2018.
- Exhibition Novelarte, Zuiderpershuis, Antwerpen from 25th til 27th of May, 2018.
- Exhibition Novelarte, Oud Havenhuis, Entrepotkaai 1, ‘t Eilandje, Antwerpen from September 7 til September 17 and from May 12 til May 28, 2017.
- Solo exhibition in the St. Jozefskapel, Augustijnslei 76 te 2930 Brasschaat from October 21 til 23, 2016.
- Finalist of the contest ‘Artist in the Spotlight’ organised by the city of Kapellen and as a result of that an exhibition in the Town Hall Administratief Centrum, Antwerpsesteenweg 130 te 2950 Kapellen from September 11 til November 15, 2015.
- Solo exhibition ‘An Elusive Dream’ in gallery ’t Kallement, Kruizemunt 15, 2160 Wommelgem, from May 26 til June 30, 2014.
- Double exhibition with Erwin Luyten in the St. Jozefskapel, Augustijnslei 76 te 2930 Brasschaat from February 4 til 6, 2011.
- Group exhibition of the Graduates of Sint-Lucas Model drawing in het Oud-Gemeentehuis, Antwerpsesteenweg 2 te 2950 Kapellen May 29 and 30 and June 4 til 6, 2010.
TV interview (in Dutch):